CS 401 - Computer Algorithms I (Fall 2012)
There are two
sections for this course. This website is for the section taking place Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, from 2:00 pm - 2:50 pm, call Numbers 35218 (undergraduate) and 35219 (graduate). For the section taking place Tuesday/Thursday, please see http://www.cs.uic.edu/~i401/
- (December 10, 2012) Please continue to check Piazza in order to see updates to the review session time and location!
- (December 7, 2012) The solutions for A4 have been posted to Blackboard.
- (December 5, 2012) Due to a number of conflicts among students involving final exams and projects, the course project's deadline has been extended to Wednesday December 12, in-class, before the final exam.
- (November 23, 2012) An update to A4 has been posted to the course webpage; please download the latest version.
- (November 20, 2012) A4 has been posted on the course website under "Homeworks", and is due Friday Nov 30.
- (November 19, 2012) Q1 in the course project has had a clarification added to it; please download the latest version of the project specification.
- (November 18, 2012) Solutions to A3 have been posted on Blackboard under "Assignments".
- (November 13, 2012) The course project has been posted on the course website under "Homeworks", and is due Friday Dec 7. The course syllabus has been updated as follows: Assignments are now worth 40% instead of 50%, the project is worth 10%, and you must pass the final in order to pass the course.
- (November 8, 2012) Since we're currently studying Max-Flow algorithms in class, I thought it to be particularly relevant that a big breakthrough just happened in this area: After being open for 32 years, Jim Orlin discovered a Max-Flow algorithm running in time O(mn)! See: http://blog.computationalcomplexity.org/ for a discussion.
- (Sunday, October 28, 2012) A3 has been posted on the course website under "Homeworks", and is due Friday Nov 9.
- (Saturday, October 20, 2012) Solutions to A2 have been posted on Blackboard under "Assignments".
- (Sunday, September 30, 2012) Two announcements: First, A2 has been posted on the course website under "Homeworks", and is due Friday Oct 12. Second, A1 solutions have been posted on Blackboard under "Assignments".
- (Monday, September 17, 2012) A1 has been updated - please download the latest copy under the Homework link!
- (Monday, September 10, 2012) Starting Wednesday, September 12, my office will be in 1218 SEO.
- (Saturday, September 8, 2012) A quick but important update has been made to A1 to clearly define what we mean by a stable matching in this scenario - please download the updated assignment under the Homework link.
- (Friday, September 7, 2012) Assignment 1 has been posted on the course website under the Homeworks link at the left. The assignment is due Friday, September 21 in class.
- (Thursday, September 6, 2012) I've received a request to make the single-page slides used in class available. With Prof. DasGupta 's permission, they can now be found on Blackboard under "Course Documents". Blackboard is at blackboard.uic.edu.
- (Monday, August 27, 2012) I mentioned today in class we may have some programming on the assignments. After discussing with Prof. DasGupta , however, it looks like this will not be the case, i.e. at present I do not anticipate to have programming on the CS401 assignments.
Please see the Syllabus
for initial course details, prerequisites, etc.
I am planning to use Piazza
for this course for Q&A, discussion, etc. I anticipate using UIC's Blackboard system for recording grades but for nothing else.
[Acknowledgement: The content of this course wiki is based on and adapted from the pages of Prof. Robert Sloan for CS301 and Prof. Bhaskar DasGupta